10 Foods to Help with Depression
We can all feel down in the dumps at times and for some, suffer with depression. Here's 10 foods that are really useful to eat if you feel glum or suffer with depression:
- Asparagus: has been found to reduce stress and agitation.
- Avocado: full of Omega 3 fatty acids which are an effective treatment for people suffering with depressive symptoms.
- Strawberries: the high antioxidant level in strawberries is thought to slow down mental ageing which can be linked to depression.
- Oranges: one of the highest vitamin C containing fruits. Ascorbic acid has been shown to reduce depressive symptoms.
- Blueberries: full of antioxidants, this wonder fruit can help with the management of depression.
- Green Tea: thought to be a great antioxidant and anti-depressant due to its antioxidant and phytochemical characteristics.
- Oatmeal: high in folate (folic acid) which has been linked to depression management.
- Cashew nuts: excellent source of tryptophan - an amino acid that is synthesised by the body into serotonin, a neurotransmitter whose low levels has been linked to depression.
- Walnuts: a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids which can help reduce depression.
- Chocolate: dark chocolate especially is full of antioxidants that can help fight depression.
Reference: WHO depression fact sheet (accessed Oct 2019)